Ozone and water washing machines: goodbye bacteria, viruses and bad smells
Let's talk about this natural and ecological washing method
Discover the advantages of ozone washing during the coronavirus emergency
The ozone - a natural gas and one of the major oxidizing agents in nature - becomes pure oxygen in contact with water and acts by breaking up organic substances. Specifically with viruses it acts directly on the lipid membrane covering and making them inactive.
Since it's a rather unstable molecule, it cannot be preserved or added in the form of a tablet, but it must be produced at the time of use. So, for transforming three O2 atoms into two O3 atoms you need oxygen and electrical discharges for the entire washing bath (normally 6 ÷ 8 minutes).
This powerful disinfectant, completely ecological and natural, besides helping sanitizing, offers other advantages:
- It acts on viruses, bacteria, fungus, molds and spores;
- it is effective at low temperatures;
- it allows to use fewer chemicals: the oxidizing action, indeed, "consumes" stains (even if it doesn’t eliminate them completely);
- it avoids the use of fabric softener, thanks to the ozone detangling function (especially if it used in the last rinse) and facilitates the next drying phase;
- since, at the end of the process, it’s simple oxygen, it doesn't require particular discharges solution into the sewer.
However, this washing system has also some peculiarities:
- Removing stains, previously consumed/oxidized by ozone, requires chemical detergents. The ozone, indeed, disables natural or enzymatic detergents.
- You cannot utilize natural or enzymatic detergents unless the ozone has been used only in the last rinse. But, even if its disinfectant/sanitizing power remains, you need to know that this method is not recommended for hospitals and rest homes.
- In the case of colored garments, especially for natural pigments, there may loss colors. To overcome this drawback, just add the ozone only in the last rinse (at least for 4 minutes).
Our washing machines are Ozone Ready
Washing with water and ozone is, therefore, a very powerful method against Covid-19 (and not only) ensuring maximum hygiene and cleanliness of linen, with the advantage of being natural and ecological, since it requires a less chemicals and a lower operating temperature compared to other methods.
These characteristics are perfectly in line with our vision. This is why we are pleased to remind you that our GWH, GWM, GWN washing machines are all Ozone Ready, so they can be equipped with the ozone dosage system and easily connected to a generator or to ozonated water supply systems.